Tomorrow is May 31st and I have to say I have never been happier to see a month come to an end. I feel like I have completely lost an entire month of 2011. This will get everyone updated on the events of May.
Some of you may know that Sam and I have been trying to become pregnant for some time now. In March I started taking Clomid, a fertility drug to induce ovulation. My cycle I would say is fairly regular, just slow. But at the beginning of May I was late. By the time I was over a week late for my period, I called my Dr and told them I hadn't gotten my period. They wanted to induce my period with drugs. But before we did that I insisted on a blood pregnancy test just to be absolutely sure.
On May 9th, a cold rainy monday I found out for the first time in my life that I was pregnant. Of course we were elated and thrilled. Finally after soo many months we were successful. However the news was bittersweet. When I talked to my Dr. on Tuesday they told me that my HCG (pregnancy hormones) were low for where I was at. I was approximately 5 1/2 weeks along. So I was to retest on Wednesday. They explained to me that the HCG hormone doubles every 48 hours in the first trimester of pregnancy until it platues at a certain number that I can't remember.
May 11th I went into the Dr, had blood drawn. My levels went from 114 to 137. Barely increasing over the course of two days. At that point I started panicking because they told me that would mean two things. Either a bad pregnancy or an ectopic pregnancy (where is resides in your tubes instead of your uterus). I went in right away for an ultrasound where they found a "growth" on my right tube (where I had also been experiencing some light pinching). They thought that I was early enough along and it looked small enough that I wouldn't have to have surgery to remove it. And there wasn't much chance of it rupturing which is the major concern with ectopic pregnancy. And at this point there is no chance of the embryo surviving. So we wanted to save the tube to help my chances of getting pregnant again in the future. Because the good news is that we can!! So instead I would take a drug called Methotrexate (a cancer drug) which attacks quickly dividing cells.
May 12th I went to the hospital and had my first dose of Methotrexate. Thankfully Sam has wonderful co-workers and was able to be there with me that day. I had to go to the infusion unit of the hospital, which is a very quiet, dark and rather sad place. From there we were to monitor my HCG levels. If they did not start to go down then I would have to go for another dose. But most people respond to the first dose, I was told.
That following week I started to miscarry like it was a normal pregnancy that was ending. This continued on for a good week. A week from my first dose of Methotrexate I found out that my body hadn't responded to the drugs and that my levels had continued to rise. They were now a little over 400.
On May 20th I went in for my second dose of Methotrexate. I spent the weekend resting and somewhat ill from the drug. After that things started to feel like they were finally getting to normal. At this point I was just ready to be done with things and move on. Because of the drug Sam and I had/have to wait at least two months before we can try again. So that Monday I started to get my life back to normal.
On May 25, it felt like any other day for the most part. I had my energy back and was starting to feeling normal after the grieving and stress of having a non viable pregnancy. Sam and I with our friend Loren went for a walk down by the river to see how high it had risen from all the rain that we have recieved over the month. (If you haven't heard the Billings region has experienced widespread flooding allover). During that time I started to experience some cramping. This cramping got steadily worse over the course of the rest of the night. I took some ibuprofen to relieve the pain. But it didn't even touch the pain I was experiencing. By 11pm I woke Sam up and said we need to go the ER something is wrong.
We spent two grueling hours in the ER before I was given morphine for my pain. This only took the edge off. I could still feel the pain, mostly situated on my right side. Shortly after that they took me up to get an ultrasound. Following the ultrasound we waited an additional two hours to have someone read the ultrasound results. Following that the ER Dr. came in and told me what he thought was going on, and that the on call OBGYN Dr. would be down to review my case and give us her opinion.
Dr. Lisa Ross was the on call Dr. Once she showed up every thing happend so fast. She explained what she saw and that surgery was the only option. She explained that once she was in there she would be able to see to what extent the damage was and possibly even attempt to save my tube. Knowing that Sam and I have been trying (she obviously reviewed my file extensively before coming down). She was incredible. I couldn't have asked for a better Dr. and I know that God had the perfect timing as always. Luckily I was able to get into surgery right away. Dr. Ross came in originally at 6:30am. I was in the OR by 7:30am. They were able to do the surgery Laproscopically. Which means that I had three little holes no bigger than a pencil in my abdomen. It was kind of exciting as the wheeled me fully awake into the OR, where I moved myself on to the operating table, where they began placing heart monitors on me and plugging other tubes into the IV I already had in my arm. I had a nurse on either side of me and Dr. Ross had followed me into the OR after telling Sam it was time for him to go into the waiting room. She stood at my feet holding onto them while everyone worked. She, and the nurse to my right were the last thing I remembered before falling under the anethesia. Other than saying that my lips were numb. The nurse had my hand gripped in both of hers and my Dr. had my feet. I hope everyone gets that same experience when they go under for any surgery. It's very comforting.
The rest of the day is mostly a blur and this is an account of what I can remember and what Sam has filled in. The surgery took 1 1/2 hrs. I was done by 9am. I don't remember waking till 10am, when they wheeled me from the recovery room to my own room in the Sameday Surgery Area. Shortly after they moved me this is where I came and went. Sam showed up shortly after that giving me a kiss and taking his place in the rocker next to my recliner. Yes I was in a recliner not a bed. This must be a newer thing. They attempted getting me up to take liquids and use the rest room but everytime my chair came upright a wave of nauseousness would hit and I'd be frantically telling Sam and "put me back, put me back." Finally after dosing on and off and having one long two house doze my nurse Rita came in and made me get up to go the bathroom. By then I was feeling a ton better. Probably from the mass dose of anti-nausea medicine and anti-inflammatories. After that we got to moving about, I had some apple juice and we determined I was good to go home. Almost three hours after I was supposed to be discharged.
I've had a fairly quick recovery. Its Monday, May 30th. Other than a little cramping every now and then I feel back to my normal self. God truly does have the perfect plan. I had originally taken off Friday and Monday from Old Chicago, because Sam and I were going to travel to McCall, ID for Sam's cousin Laura's wedding. Of course I was SOOO disappointed to miss the weekened getaway and wedding. But I cannot deny how convenient it was that I did not have to arrange for time off. And Sam was around to take care of me when I needed it most.
I've uploaded some pictures that were taken from my surgery. The Dr. said that my insides looked great. And the ruptured part of the tube couldn't have been in a better place. She was able to leave the tube in tact. Luckily it wasn't too close to the uterus. Apparently the uteran artery runs close to that place and that's where people can really bleed out. I didn't have a lot of bleeding and it only slightly ruptured. So in all I am thankful. Everything has been bittersweet but I can feel how although this has been a trial and a tough one at that God has not left me. But I've learned how to really rely on God and trust in his ultimate plan and will for my life. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate the support and love we have had from our friends and family. Its almost June. A new day, a new month.

No comments:
Post a Comment